Wednesday, July 23, 2014

1987 & 2014 - School Vending Machine Debate

Back in my quintessential New England elementary school in Worcester, MA, I recall my mom taking up a cause with the PTA and eventually the principal with one of her best friends and political rable-rouser pal! The issue was over whether to install the newly desired school vending machine. This was a new commodity and something perceived as "cool", up and coming, and what all the current schools would do.
However, this would also mean an increased and easier access to sodas, snacks, and in general processed food. From my childhood understanding, this was also thought of as a fundraising tool for the school since funds were always in need. My mom hearing this, fought the concept with the same ideology and rationale that many are using today to remove vending machines from schools. However, this was in 1987 not 2014. 27 years earlier my mom had the foresight to understand the repercussions these processed food encouraging machines would have on children, their health, their mindset, and not only their pockets. As in many schools, there were kids with lower economic means and this would only encourage money spent on the "new cool" item vs on more health benefiting choices. 1987 school lunches weren't any more nutritious (to my recollection) and I even recall working in the cafeteria (but not getting paid) so things were a little different in some respects. However, the mindset to provide children with nutritious food was increasingly declining while the mindset to increase any means to garner funds for the school even at the expense of child nutrition, was increasing. I'm glad my mom fought, even though I recall she accrued a few more enemies along the way, including the principal. However, I'm glad. To this day, I respect her for taking charge 20 years before her time to prevent the problems that now many health conscious parents and individuals are scrambling to rectify.
It's easier to prevent the process versus clean it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment