Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Set Your Day up for Success; Not a Crash

During our flights returning from Thanksgiving Holiday, I learned why I focus so much on eating a nutrient dense breakfast. It's true. Breakfast sets your mood, mindset and physical capabilities for the rest of the day and it can also affect your cravings and nutritional needs for the day.

In-flight scenario:

My husband and I were upgraded to first class on the first of our morning flights, so we had expected breakfast. Our choices that morning were omelet or raisin bran. I found those to be an interesting juxtaposition of options that I would equate to a California Pinot Noir and box wine. Of course everyone before us chose the omelet and they ran out by the time they served us, so we were left with raisin bran. Since I’m pregnant, protein is even more of a concern, but it was especially important after eating only raisin bran for breakfast. Calorie wise, it was dense, but nutrient-wise, it was lacking since it was primarily simple carbs and sugars. As you can see in the picture below, we were also served yogurt that was fruit-filled and syrupy. In fact, the only thing served to us that morning that didn’t spike our sugar levels extraordinarily was the lactose free milk. After landing and during our layover, we went to have "lunch" of a split salad with some chicken However, since I overate bread, I wasn't that hungry so I didn’t eat much despite it being a source of protein. I just figured I’d eat later. We ended up at the Skyclub and the temptation to “snack” heightened.
 I munched on some hummus, veggies, crackers, some tasteless barley mix, but I continued to pick. We ended up not getting dinner thinking that we'll eat some KIND bars on the plane followed by something light at home. As a result, I was moody, indecisive, and couldn't focus on the work I had intended to during our three-hour layover. 

On our second flight that day, my husband was upgraded to first class and at that point, the sugar and simple carb spikes hit me. I actually got upset that he got to sit in first class because he would get a "meal" while I would have peanuts thrown at me. At that point, I knew we wouldn’t really eat at home. I was irrational and if I can recall in my sugar high, gluten high haze, at home I think I had some peanut butter as a form of protein on sprouted bread and a glass of milk and then I went to bed. I was exhausted because deficient in nutrients and quality food.malnourished.

Results of not setting yourself up for the day:
Irrational thinking.
Lack of energy.
Inability to focus.
Desire to munch on non-nutrient rich items to satisfy a craving you can't place.
Putting off a "real" meal because you don't let yourself get hungry

How to offset? 
Simple = EAT some form of a breakfast in the morning AND make sure that breakfast has a mixture of protein, carbs, and fat. Fat is especially important in protein sources that are not animal based (e.g. when eating yogurt, choose a plain variety with fat in it). Eggs are wonderful protein rich sources that are easy to make in the morning and good for those who want a lighter breakfast. They are versatile and typically inexpensive. Although I harp on quality, if in a pinch, eggs are the safer of the animal based proteins to eat.

So just as they used to say eat your "Wheaties"...I say eat your protein (e.g., beans, eggs, tofu, ...whatever gives you the energy)!


No comments:

Post a Comment