Monday, January 12, 2015

Choose a Challenge Over a Resolution!

As I write this while eating my veggie, quinoa and tofu salad (in lieu of a stuffed bread with savory chicken) and a raisin pecan roll (vs. a sweet roll dessert), I realize that in essence, I have embarked on the "New Year's Resolutions" slowly but without much thought. Why? Because I didn't set any resolutions. Instead I set a challenge. The word “challenge” versus the word “resolution” triggers different mindsets, which in turn, triggers different behaviors.


1) A “resolution” can have a negative impact on your psyche. It implies that for the last year, you have been doing something "bad" that needs to be changed. It falls along the lines of resolving to be better. A a result, you deny yourself of a food, an activity, or a behavior. For me denial means wanting the denied thing more. This immediately sets you up for failure if you don't meet your “resolution”.
2) A “challenge” implies that you are strong, determined, and wanting to positively make a change that will improve your skills, your health and your mental well-being or whatever you want to "improve". A challenge invokes a sense of competition (achieving), and it also restores trust in oneself.

Which sounds more positive and encouraging?
"Resolve to eat less sweets." "Resolve to not sit so much."  -- or --
"Challenge yourself to eat less sweets." "Challenge yourself to take a 20 minute walk every day."

When achieved, challenges feel more rewarding. This mindset is used a lot in physical goal making to motivate and persevere. Challenge yourself to workout outside of your comfort zone. Push yourself through the pain. Don't you feel more empowered when you achieve your challenge?

I consciously wasn't thinking about reducing sugar and eating a salad. I simply thought that I needed this for my body. I challenged myself to feed myself more nutritious, re-energizing food. I also chose to do it slowly with substitutions. Not cold turkey.

My next challenge is the Three Liter a Day Challenge. - the next challenge I will designate to meet my sustainable health goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment